Hints for housing in Denmark
- Housing is certainly the major expense of living in Denmark. Your needs and location will dictate housing cost and whether you buy, rent, sublet, etc. Being able to read Danish, once again, is a big help here.
- Word of mouth! As you meet Danes and other expats, ask their advice about how to find affordable housing. Danish co-workers might have friends or neighbors with apartments for rent. In Denmark it’s okay to ask someone how much he or she pays for rent.
- It is currently a renter’s market. Consider negotiating the rent and the amount of deposit required - although as a foreigner you might have less good chances for success. It's worth a try nevertheless. With so much new housing sitting empty, some sellers may be willing to rent until the housing market is more favorable for them. Inquire at real estate (bolig) offices.
- There are some great internet sites, but beware of scams. If you are asked to send a “key deposit”, bank account numbers, or any money at all before you have made a contract - it's most certainly a scam. DON'T.
- Don’t get burned by paying too high of a rent or losing your deposit. Join Lejernes LO i Hovedstaden [www.LLO.dk] before you sign a lease, to learn renters’ rights and responsibilities.
- Tips for renting accommodation in Denmark
- Learn from other's (bad) experiences with housing in Denmark
The hints collected here and many more are covered in the "Worktrotter's Guide to Denmark" in Chapter 11. Housing
Benefit of the collective knowledge. You don't need to re-invent the wheel and go through our mistakes as well.
Share with your friends
Denmark seen with international eyes
The Worktrotter books
For those working with Danes and those trying to find work in Denmark.
This book is also aimed at those Danes who want to become conciously aware of the Danish workplace culture.
Find out how to decode Danish work culture, avoid pitfalls and know how you can bring your messages across when working with Danes.
For current and future newcomers to Denmark.
A practical step-by-step guide about living and working in Denmark. Save time, nerves and money. Be smart and do things right - right from the start.
No shipping fees worldwide!